Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Toto



On her quest to find the Wizard, Dorothy had a constant companion named Toto.  Throughout her journey, Toto was there to talk to, warned her of impending danger or imposters, all by barking of course. The saying “Man’s best friend” couldn’t be more true about our furry sidekicks. There’s nothing in this world that will love you as unconditionally as your dog.  Like Toto, they are more loyal, more dependable and more happy to see you when you get home than many people are.

On Christmas Eve 2015, I received an incredible surprise! My own Toto. A ball of fluff disguised as a 1lb Morkie (Maltese and Yorkie Mix).  I named her, Nike. Here's why...
Nike and I on Christmas Eve

Years ago on an amazing trip with my mom in Europe, we traveled through a few cities in Greece, as well as the ancient city of Ephesus, Turkey. There I learned about the Greek Goddess of Victory, Nike.  Most people only equate the name with the popular athletic clothing brand, but even that brand was named after the Goddess herself. It is believed that Nike would reward victors with Glory and Fame, symbolized by a wreath of bay leaves. I was already a fan of the clothing brand, but this story made love Nike even more. On that day, I told my mom that I would like to get a little dog and name her Nike someday. The Goddess again showed up in my life my senior year of college in Art History class when I learned about my favorite sculpture Nike of Samothrace, or Winged Victory of Samothrace. She kept showing up in my life, until Nike finally made her way into it for real.

Since that Christmas Eve, just as I expected, Nike has become my constant companion. She has given me more love and loyalty than I could have imagined. She has made me step outside of myself and take care of another living thing. She has encouraged me to relax and enjoy walks around the neighborhood.  I didn’t name her after the famous “Swoosh”, I named her after a powerful Goddess who is all about victory and “winning” in life and it fits perfectly, on her and in my life.
Toto was also a physical representation of Dorothy’s intuition. She knew when someone was faking. (Yes, she.  Did you know that Toto was actually a female Terrier named Terry?)  Much like our instincts. Sometimes our gut just tells us something is "off."  Sometimes we know what is right, even if we don’t want that to be the case. Like Toto, our instinctual mind knows… we just have to listen to it bark a little. 

Like Toto, Nike has kept me in check in many ways. It’s crazy to say, but I truly think that she showed up at the perfect time in my life… to love me without question, to help me get on the right track, to start enjoying life more and to continue “winning”. It’s amazing how a pet can enrich your life so much.

So Nike, we may not be in Kansas anymore, but we are going to have fun wherever we travel… together.

Love, 
Dorothy in Sin City

Nike has grown lots! She is now 5 months old and 4.32lbs!

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Nike is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have Nike! <3

    ReplyDelete